Home » Education » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

I would like to coach in the United States. How can I find a job?
The NSCAA receives a number of emails from foreign coaches who are interested in exploring a career as a coach in the United States. We recommend that such candidates monitor two different web sites: the NSCAA's own Job Listings and The Market on the NCAA web site.

The NSCAA job listings page features positions at all levels of the game, from youth clubs to high school and college positions.

The NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) is the largest governing association for intercollegiate sports in the United States. One section of its web site features job listings for a full range of coaching and administrative positions at member schools. To access this site, go to http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/employment+information. The National Association for Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) also has a jobs page on it site at www.naia.org. Once there, click on the "Careers" button in the upper right corner of the page and follow the links to the NAIA Career Center.

What type of license do I need to coach in the United States?
It depends on the type of position you are applying for and the requirements of the employer. Most schools and clubs will be looking for appropriate academic education and some upper-level coaching courses. The NSCAA does offer coaching education courses for all levels of the game.

What is the difference between the NSCAA and the U.S. Soccer (USSF)?
The NSCAA is a non-profit association of soccer coaches at every level of the game whose mission is to provide top-quality coaching education programs. The NSCAA conducts educational offerings through our coaching academy program. NSCAA courses are called diploma programs and are intended to be information-oriented. As the recognized national governing body for soccer in the United States, U.S. Soccer is affiliated with FIFA, the international governing body for soccer. USSF offers coaching certification courses that lead to coaching licenses. . 

What course do I qualify for?
It depends on such things as your coaching and playing background and previous coaching education or certification courses completed. Our non-residential courses do not have pre-requisites. The upper level courses require a combination of experience and previous education. See the coaching courses page for additional information.

I play/have played professionally. Can I go directly into the Advanced National Diploma course?
Acceptance into the course requires an NSCAA National Diploma, the USSF “C” or an English UEFA "C" license. A minimum of 10 years coaching experience at an appropriate level also is suggested. There are no exceptions made for playing or coaching experience at any level.

I played overseas/ hold a license from overseas. What course do I qualify for?
Playing experience overseas does not get you into a course any higher than the National Diploma. The UEFA "B’"License allows you to skip the National Diploma and start with the Advanced National Diploma, while the UEFA "A" allows you to apply directly for the Premier Diploma.

Where are the courses nearest me?
All of our Non-Residential and Goalkeeping courses are scheduled on an on-demand basis throughout the country. See the coaching courses page for additional information.

What are the fees for the Residential Diploma courses?
The fees to attend a National, Advanced National or Premier Diploma course vary based on the time of year, location and whether the applicant is an NSCAA member and whether the candidate chooses residential or commuter status for the course. See the coaching courses page for additional information.

In the Residential courses, what are the differences between resident and commuter?
Resident fees include six nights lodging and meals. Commuter fees do not include lodging but do include meals at the academy site.

Can I take the Advanced National Diploma without taking the National?
Only if you have earned either the USSF "C" License or the UEFA "C" License.

I couldn’t find the application on the website, where is it?
Visit the coaching courses page for additional information, then click on the course you wish to attend and there will be a link for the Application Form under the specific course listing.

What will be covered during these courses?
It depends on which course you are taking.  See the coaching courses page for additional information about each course.

Can I submit my Academy application via fax?
Yes, you can fax your application to our office - fax number 816-474-7408 - as long as your application in complete and the minimum $200 non-refundable, non-transferable deposit is included. If you are not comfortable faxing your credit card information, you can call our office at 816-471-1941 during regular business hours after you have faxed your form or you can mail your application in with a check.

What’s the difference between the National and the Advanced National Diploma?
The courses are intended to be progressive. The National Diploma covers technical and tactical knowledge using the 6 v. 6 model of teaching. The Advanced National Diploma focuses on working with the advanced player within a team concept and technical and tactical knowledge using the 8 v. 8 model for teaching.

What is the nearest airport to the course?
There is a specific course information sheet posted online for each of our Academy courses. This sheet outlines the nearest airports to each site and an approximate distance to the site.

What are the dates and locations for upcoming courses?
See the coaching courses page for this information.

Do the course fees include my annual NSCAA membership dues?
If you are not and have not been a member of the NSCAA prior to taking a Non-Residential course, you are provided a introductory membership upon completing your first course. A one-year, full membership is also provided to anyone who registers for a Residential or two weekend National or Advanced National Diploma course as a non-member.

What is the deadline for registering for a Residential course?
We accept applications until the course is full. There is a $200 non-refundable, non-transferable deposit required with each course application. If space is still available and you register less than 30 days prior to the start of the course, full payment is required with your application.

What is the NSCAA Coaching Academy Refund and Cancellation Policy?
For information about the refund and cancellation policy, please visit this page.

How can I get a duplicate diploma?
Copies of diplomas are available for $10. To request a copy of your diploma call the education department at 816-471-1941. Diplomas are mailed once payment has been processed.